Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, January 8, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - January 8

Lesser Brothers

"Francis, the model of humility, wanted his brothers to be called Lesser and the superiors of the Order to bear the name 'servants,' thereby preserving the very words used in the Gospel which he had promised to observe.  At the same time he enabled his followers to learn from their very name that they had come to the school of the humble Christ to learn humility.  Jesus Christ, the teacher of humility, intending to form his disciples in true humility, said, 'Anyone who wants to become great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be your slave' (Mt 20:26-27)."  --St. Bonaventure, Major Life, 6:5

There is a slogan thought to have originated with sports, but often used in business to motivate their employees to work as a team:  There is no "I" in Team.  It's one of those truths that when I first heard it, I was struck by it because I've always preferred to work on my own.  Being a part of a "team" does not come naturally to me.  Even growing up I hung out with one friend at a time, never in a group.  I have to say this has made it difficult for me to feel truly a part of a church.  St. Francis knew that humility was the core of one's relationship with God and with others.  For him there was no "I" in the brotherhood, for God was at the center of his life--not his self.  Even if you are not a part of a "team" of people, you are a part of God's team.  There is no "I" in Team.