Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, February 15, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - February 15

St. Francis Praises Lady Poverty's Fidelity


"You, most faithful spouse, sweetest lover, were never for one moment separated from your Lord.  In fact, you clung all the more fiercely to him, the more others despised him.  Of course, had you not been with him, he would not have been so despised by all.

You were with him amid the shouts and insults of the Pharisees, the reproaches of the chief priests; you were with him buffeted and spit upon and scourged.  He deserved the veneration of all; he received mockery instead, and you alone comforted him.  You did not abandon him, 'even to accepting death, death on a cross' (Ph 2:8).  And on the cross, when his body hung there naked, his arms outstretched, his hands and feet nailed to the wood, you suffered with him, and nothing appeared more glorious in him than you.

Then when he went to heaven he left with you the seal of the kingdom of heaven so that you could seal the elect.  Whoever, then, would sigh for the eternal kingdom must come to you, must ask you for it, and must enter it through you, for no one can enter into the kingdom without the imprint of your seal."  --Sacrum Commercium, 20-21


What does it mean for Lady Poverty to be loyal to Jesus?  When I remember that we are to be "poor in spirit"--meaning humble--I understand.  If humility was personified I'd see her in this way:  She'd be so close of a friend to me that she would keep me from being prideful and from insisting on my way with no thought of others.  She'd constantly turn my attention toward God and how much He loves me which would keep me from lacking anything in my life.  She and I would be so in tune with one another that I'd feel no burden, only opportunity to serve my Lord.  Lady Poverty would bring much joy into my life as she saw me safely home.

1 comment: