Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, February 19, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - February 19

St. Francis Corrects a Brother

"One day St. Francis heard a brother insinuate to a poor little man who was begging an alms, 'How do I know you're not really rich and pretending to be in need?'  When Francis, the Father of the Poor, heard this, he was deeply saddened.  He severely rebuked the brother who had dared to utter such words and ordered him to strip before the beggar and beg his pardon, kissing his feet."  --Celano, First Life, 76

In light of today's numerous scams for which we have to watch-out, this may be a difficult practice to follow.  I do not respond to any telephone solicitation for that reason--even ones that are probably legitimate.  I tell them all that is my policy.  There are watch-dog websites that can help you weed out the fraudulent charities and even tell you how much of your money actually goes to helping the needy.  In the example above, however, it involved a face-to-face encounter, and I believe the point Francis wanted to make clear is that it's not about the other person's need so much as our need to willingly help the poor--even if it means we might get fleeced a time or two.

A few years ago I was waiting at a long stop light when an obviously homeless man approached my car with his sign asking for money.  It was raining.  I felt compelled to lower my window and hand him $5 and tell him about the local Rescue Mission where he could get help.  He told me he'd been kicked out because he'd broken the rules too many times concerning alcohol.  The light changed, so I didn't have to search for the right response.  I think I just gave him a soulful look and went on my way as I prayed for him in my thoughts.  I'd like to think that our conversation, which forced him to acknowledge out loud that it was his own fault he was standing out in the rain begging for money, stirred something in him to return to the Mission and ask for another chance.  They do a lot for the men who want help getting their lives back together, and I make sure I contribute to them every year.  That $5 I gave was not wasted because it was given in good faith.  I was trusting God to use it for good--and He did, even if it was to just show me I mustn't pass up opportunities to show God's grace.




2 comments:

  1. I love that...I found a gentlamn in the garage across the alley from me two years ago. It was minus forty below zero and I noticed the small door was closed and I had kept it open for a cat I was feeding there. I walked in and here was a man,no blanket, on a cardboard, hardly any clothes...oh my. He told me the same thing your man there told you....he could not go to Bills' House he had got kicked out...so I gave him a blanket I had just won in a poetry contest, and watched him three days until his check came..I knew the neihgbors would turn him over to the police..no church in town would help me house him..I could not being alone..so.....on the third day I took him around to get a jacket with his money, and other places he wanted to go, and told him he MUST get out of that garage.aas th eneighbors would not like him there. We did find a motel that was being used to house folks like him. We had a few talks and I had given him a BIble..I saw it was one of the things he left behind...when I took him to the motel, But as you say.... our encounter was not in vain...he was still alive after the forty below..whereas if I had not gone to that door that night being one of our coldest in years....with wind. he might not have made it. We are led as our Father wants us...nothing is in vain..Blessings, merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merri, thank you for sharing your experience. Yes, God does indeed lead those who are willing. We never know if when we "entertain strangers" we may be entertaining angels. And when we help another in need Jesus tells us we are always serving Him.

      Delete