Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, February 29, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - February 29

The True Value of Money

"We must not think that the utility and value of coin or money is greater than that of stones.  The devil wants to blind those who do desire and value it more.  And so let us who have left all things beware, lest for so little we lose the kingdom of heaven."  --St. Francis, Rule of 1221, Chapter VIII

Money is such an artificial thing.   It merely represents something of value.  For instance, I would rather spend my money on fixing up my home where I spend the majority of my time than on a vacation which is temporary.  But there are others who probably feel the opposite because they value traveling more.  I also value time with my family more than making money.  In St. Francis's example, stones are just as valuable as money.  This reminds me of the stone walls farmers would build to keep their animals from roaming.   The stones came from their own land and were just as valuable as money to the farmer.  If we would give up our quest for money, we might "uncover" valuable "stones" in ourselves, waiting to be put to good use.



No comments:

Post a Comment