Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, February 22, 2016

St. Franics of Assisi - February 22

The Royal Dignity of Begging

"Even when St. Francis would know that his host had prepared more than enough food, he would go begging at mealtime to give the brothers an example and to honor the nobility and dignity of Lady Poverty.  He'd usually say something like this to his host:  'I"m going out to beg for alms because I don't want to renounce my royal dignity, my inheritance, my vocation, and the vows the Lesser Brothers and I have made.  I may come back with only a few scraps, but I shall have done what was mine to do.'"  --Writings of Leo, Rufino, and Angelo, 2b

The first thing I think of concerning Francis's begging for alms when his host had sufficient food to give him is this....never "to rest on our laurels" or else the grace that God extends to us might very well become just that:  OUR laurels.  It is very easy to take credit for our accomplishments and become prideful over them.  Francis needed to remind others, and himself, that his purpose was to be poor and dependent on God and the way to do that was to continually fulfill the purpose God had laid upon him.

2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting.....to acutally do the role and be the right expresion that God had intended for you to be..no matter what the riches you have. I am dealing with it..as I have had to eat at the Salvation Army all winter...due to dire cirumstances..and also use their breadtable. I finaly am comiong out of the situation but this clarifies for me to keep going to the bread table...yes ..get the manna and share it with birds or others...but go , and acknowledge the total abundance in this world and keep humble in this all.....thank you again..Merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping humble is always the right place to be--this is a good reminder to me also. Thank YOU, Merri.

      Delete