Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Safe Place


"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said:  'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."  
-Mark 8:34





My home and garden are a "safe" place for me because it is where I can just be myself.  When Gabriel, my dog, and I walk in my garden early each day, all feels right with my world.

In today's  Discover the Word Ann Voskamp talks about being a safe place for others.  She begins by saying, "The shortest distance between two hearts is to share your brokenness."  The quickest way to defuse an argument is to recognize your own fault in the situation.  In her case, rather than rage about the way her son had failed her, she thought about the ways she'd failed him.  In apologizing to him for those times, he was able to admit his failure and apologize for his.  Only afterwards did she speak to what he should have done.  This only works, I've discovered, when the other person loves you in some capacity.  I've done this with someone who only responded with shaming remarks in a public way.  But I am called to love that person anyway even though they do not love me.  This is the passion of Christ--to suffer for those He loves.  We are called to be co-sufferers with Him.  This takes the form of compassion (to suffer with) for others--which often times requires us to love those who do not love us back.

I am grateful for Christ who loves me no matter what--even in the times I fail Him.  Even in the times I do not love Him in the way I am called to.  In Christ I know I have a safe place, if I will just humble myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment