Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Wednesday, January 4, 2017

I Am Here For God


"Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."  -Colossians 3:17


I started gardening in 1990 when my youngest started expressing his independence (he was two) and because I would not be having any more babies I knew I needed something more to nurture.  At that point there was only grass in our front yard.  Over the years we've added a picket fence, a small pond, statues, replaced the grass with pebbles, and lots and lots of plants.  I loved creating the various flower beds.  Coming up with ideas was easy.  Even implementing them, while hard work, was exhilarating.  But the upkeep was another matter.  After a few years it became a burden to keep it looking tidy.  One day while on my knees pulling weeds and deadheading spent flowers I realized why I was feeling it was a burden.  I was doing it for other people to see when they visited, and because I wasn't getting very many visitors, I was essentially doing it for no one!  This is when I realized how grateful I should be for even having a yard in which to garden and the resources and ability to create such a tranquil setting.  This is also when I realized it was never my garden to begin with.  It was God's and I was  merely expressing His creative image I was made in.  

I am grateful for this change of heart--the lesson He taught me in His garden....that if I do all things for Him it will not be a burden. . . .

"For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
-Matthew 11:30

Now I go out in my garden early each morning and tidy a little bit here and a little bit there.  I enjoy this time of day immensely, walking in the garden with God.  And when I do get a visitor, I am overjoyed to share it with them.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly enjoyed the tranquil garden when I came to visit! Thank you for taking great care of GOD's garden!

    ReplyDelete