Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, January 9, 2017

Peacemakers


"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." -Matthew 5:9

In the 1990s I became aware of the religious sect known as the Amish.  There was a large settlement just two hours north of us that I visited several times as I explored their way of life through books and the tourist attractions in that area.  I purchased this scherenschnitte painting depicting the Beatitude in today's scripture.  What appealed to me most about the Amish is their desire to live what they believe and to hold each other accountable.  The Beatitudes are one example of how they strive to live.

The example they set for their children has grown their sect even though young adults are given the choice of whether or not they wish to join the church.  You have heard stories about their practice of shunning, but that is only for those who have joined the church then strayed.  By shunning they hope to bring the errant member back into the fold.  To me this is an example of a peacemaker.  It is different than being a peacekeeper.  Churches that do not confront their errant members are merely trying to keep the peace by not stirring up trouble.  Churches who confront the one who has strayed are attempting to make peace within the community of believers by encouraging the lost sheep to see the error of their ways and return to the fold.  Likewise, God desires that none be lost, but He has made it clear we must return under His terms.

I am grateful that God will not let me stray from Him.  When I stumble He will let me "skin my knee" as a way to emphasize my need to rely on Him instead of myself.  He has provided a straight path for me to walk on.  If my desire is to be a child of God, then making peace with Him and with others will be my path.

2 comments: