Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, February 11, 2017

Merciful


"Blessed are the merciful for they shall be shown mercy."  
-Matthew 5:7



"We must not only bear our own afflictions patiently, but we must do all we can to help those who are in misery.  We must have compassion on the souls of others, and help them; pity those who are in sin, and seek to snatch them as brands out of the burning."  That is Matthew Henry's commentary on today's verse.

Whenever I catch myself judging another the phrase, "But for the grace of God there go I," pops into my head.  It is attributed to John Bradford, a 16th-century Reformer who was burned at the stake for his efforts.  He is said to have asked for forgiveness of any he had wronged and forgave those who had wronged him just before the fire was lit.

The example for how to pray given by Jesus asks God to forgive us as we forgive others.  So it is clear that to receive mercy one must be merciful.  This is something we should all keep in mind the next time we seek revenge, judge another, or have no compassion.

I am grateful that God has shown me mercy.  I should never presume upon God's grace by withholding it from others.


No comments:

Post a Comment