Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Thursday, February 16, 2017

Prayer


"Everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened."  -Matthew 7:8


Jesus speaks these words during his discourse known as the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).  My study Bible lists (with scripture references) the following conditions for effectual prayer:

  1. a right relationship of repentance and faith, for God never promises to answer the prayers of unbelievers although He may occasionally choose to do so
  2. an earnest and spiritual desire
  3. a confidence in God which leads the petitioner to ask in simple trust
  4. a faith which believes that God is both able and willing to answer
  5. a reception of the anticipated answer by faith as we appropriate or lay hold of that which we have not yet received
The footnote adds:  "While there are many hindrances to prayer, all of them may be comprehended under two general classifications:  sin and unbelief."

There are many, many books on how to pray and I've read lots of them.  I've attended prayer meetings and led a prayer chain.  I've had prayers answers and some not.  One could make a case for praying without ceasing and another for once is enough because to keep on praying is to show a lack of faith that God has answered.  I've heard the sentiment that the only prayer we need to pray is one of thanksgiving.  Some advocate a set time of day and length of time to pray.  It can quickly become a chore to pray if you to turn it into a formula.  You lose the whole purpose of prayer which is to have a relationship with God.

As I write the verse that comes to my mind is Romans 8:26:  "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words."  Knowing that I need only call out to God and He will do the rest simplifies prayer in a way that encourages me to pray unceasingly.  

I am grateful that if I am humble enough to ask and trusting enough to search, I will find my way to God who gives me His Spirit who intercedes for me, making my request known to Him through which I will receive all that I need--even if it's not what I was expecting.

1 comment:

  1. Such an important topic to share to many. With our World in turmoil this message is timed perfectly. I hope many take it to heart. That is my prayer. With GOD all things are possible. Thank you again for your research & for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete