Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Thursday, February 23, 2017

Press On


"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  -Philippians 3:14


Before this cut in the mountains in western Maryland was made in 1991 cars and trucks had to drive a two-lane road for 100 miles through small towns and and five miles out of the way along the contour of the mountain to get across this mountain range.  It was a steep climb with a hairpin turn midway.  My husband used to drive it in the 1980s for work and often was stuck behind a semi-truck slowing his progress even further.  When we drive it now when we head to the mountains to enjoy the autumn foliage I think about the pioneers who crossed this mountain range in covered wagons and am amazed they even attempted the journey.

In today's scripture Paul writes about pressing on in his journey to attain his goal to serve God and take the Gospel to the lost.  He faced hardships and setbacks but never gave up.  He bemoans the fact that he does not do what he wants to do but instead does the evil he does not want to do (Romans 7:19).  But he does not leave us there.  In verse 25 he exclaims, "Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I serve the law of God, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin." We all have moments like this when we struggle to do what is right--what we know God desires us to do.  But with God's help we can press on for He shall make the way for us as Paul continues in 8:1-2:  "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death."

I am grateful that the only giving up I have to do is to give up my self-righteousness and claim Christ's.

No comments:

Post a Comment