Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Thursday, April 20, 2017

A River Lesson


"Jesus said, 'Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.'  By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive."  -John 7:38-39

Lilias Trotter wrote:  "And another river lesson has come with the words, 'His voice was as the sound of many waters.'  I have never noticed before how such a thing will check the voice of their torrent.  A rock, a bush, even water running will dull it from a thunder of power into a mere whisper where all the harmony of its multitude of tone is deadened and lost.  Oh, we want to live where not one of the undertones or overtones of His Voice is stifled or missed!"

A contemporary of Lilias's, Oswald Chambers, wrote a book about the Sermon on the Mount.  He said:  "Beware of placing our Lord's role as teacher ahead of His purpose as savior" because otherwise we will despair of ever living up to His standards.  Chambers goes on to say:  "But if--by being born again from above--we know Him first as savior, we know that He did not come only to teach us:  He came to make us what He teaches we should be."  It is by His Spirit we are enabled to live a righteous life.

This is why what Lilias has to say is so important.  We must be careful not to block out or muffle the Spirit's voice within us.  In a secular book I'm reading the author says we should "talk from our heart," where love resides, and not from our heads, where our fears reside.  When our hearts are filled with the Holy Spirit and we keep our hearts open, love will flow forth and the fear our minds want to interject into the situation will be stifled.

I am grateful that the love God placed in my heart when I received His Holy Spirit will not only fill me up with peace but will overflow to others if I do not let my mind fill me with fear.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS this is so beautiful ! I am going to copy it down.. as when we know our LORD as our SAVIOR then he teaches us what he wants us to be.. so opening our hearts to him and receiving him as our LORD AND SAVIOR allows the Living Waters to flow. When my dad passed on in 93 fast and I had to run our family resort suddenly I heard God tell me to change the name of it as its scope was going to be different with me running it.. it had been EALGES NEST LAKES RESORT.. and I changed it to LIVING WATERS RETREAT.. I had a vision of it and its healing mission . Well with conflict so great i could not do that work there, I did have a few years to change things over to a SPIRITUAL VENUE not just money. and ego in there.. I am so grateful for this post as always Cathy, Love Merri with gratitude from my overflowing living waters heart of God.. Merri

    ReplyDelete