Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, April 3, 2017

Gratitude is an Attitude


"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.  Sing and make music in your hearts to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."  -Ephesians 5:19-20

A quiet spot in our woods to sing and make music in my heart



What does it mean to "make music in your hearts?"  I've been reading a book called The Power of the Heart by Baptist de Pape.  Its premise is that the heart has its own "intelligence" and has other powers besides its function of pumping our blood through our body.  Apparently our heart's magnetic field radiates outside our body and can affect other people.  This has been researched by the Heartmath Institute.  Today I was reading the chapter about the effects of gratitude.  The author suggests that we keep a gratitude journal.  One way to do this is to write down three things that went well that day before you go to bed.  He calls it the Three Blessings journal.  Then ask yourself, "Why did this go well?"  This will help you see the connection between being grateful and having things go well.

He also says, "There is love in everyone, always waiting for the moment it can free itself, like a butterfly from its cocoon.  You release love within yourself by appreciating life and the people around you."  This sparked an emotion in me because I understood what he was saying.  I've been writing this daily journal for more than three months now....writing about the things I am grateful for.  I've amazed myself each morning that I haven't run out of things yet to write about!  It really has changed my attitude and my changed attitude has given me a new outlook on life.  I am experiencing this releasing of love that I did not realize I already carried about in my heart.  So when Paul speaks the words in his letter to the Ephesians about "making music in your hearts" I have a whole new understanding.  This is the "sacrifice of praise" spoken of in the Bible.  It is the gratitude we carry in our hearts no matter our circumstances and is our gift to God.

I am grateful that my eyes, and more importantly my heart, have been opened up to appreciate life more than I ever have before.

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful. Now one of my favorite posts you have shared! I LOVE YOU SIS!!

    ReplyDelete