Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Thursday, October 5, 2017

Asking in Faith


"Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him.  When he came near, Jesus asked him, 'What do you want me to do for you?"  -Luke 18:40-41


This is my father at age three.  Psychologists say by the age of three our personalities have pretty much presented themselves.  But then life's circumstances begin to influence that personality and how we respond to the circumstances determines the outcome to our lives.  Unfortunately, my dad did not have the kind of upbringing that fostered integrity.

The man in today's scripture responded, "Lord, I want to see."  Jesus said, "Receive your sight; your faith has healed you."  When we ask, there must not be even a smidgen of doubt that our prayer will be answered.  The way I understand it is that God answers the desires of our heart--but the desires of our heart must be with our whole heart.  There are many reasons why we may think we want something but in truth we have reservations about it.  We may feel we don't deserve it, or we may want it for the wrong reason and therefore our soul knows it's not right for us even as our mind thinks it is.  Being honest with ourselves is the beginning of wisdom because then God can enter in with His wisdom and correct our wrong thinking.  No matter how much we "tell" ourselves something, if we don't truly believe it, it won't permeate our man-made defenses which always keeps God out.  True healing comes through faith in our God--not in ourselves.

In my father's case, he could not face his own weaknesses.  He never told himself the truth about them.  His pride kept him from honestly beseeching God for healing.

I am grateful that healing is available when I humble myself and ask in faith.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yem Humility, the stepping stone of Faith for sure. We I get out of God's way with my " I this " and " Me that" well it all is surely resolved... Many thanks for the humble reminder. Merri

    ReplyDelete