Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, October 13, 2017

Name Calling


"Jesus looked at him, and said,....'You will be called Cephas' (which, when translated, is Peter)."  -John 1:42



In today's Our Daily Bread Marvin Williams writes about the time when Jesus changed his disciple Simon's name to Peter.  In Aramaic it is Cephas, which means "rock."  Jesus intended for Peter to be a part of the building of the Church from that day forward--not a building made from stones, but the body of believers--and so he gave him a new name befitting his calling.  Ever since I discovered that my name means "pure" I've endeavored to live up to it.  When I was expecting my first child, after waiting so long to become a mother, the name "Jonathan" came to mind long before he was born (before I knew it was a boy).  When I looked up the meaning, I had no doubt God had given me this gift of motherhood because Jonathan means "God has given."

I am grateful for my new name:  Child of God.

1 comment: