Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, June 6, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - June 6

Reverence for the Sacrament and Word of the Lord

"In this world we possess and see nothing bodily of the Most High, except his Body and Blood, and the nouns and verbs through which we were made and redeemed from death to life.  Therefore, wherever the Most Holy Body has been put in an unbecoming place and left there neglected, let it be removed and placed in a secure and precious dwelling place.  Likewise with the written words of the Lord that are found in unseemly place.  Let us remember to gather them up and keep them in a becoming place."  --St. Francis, Letter to the Clergy

When I was growing up I was told I must never write in my Bible.  Now there are Study Bibles just for that purpose.  But how we treat the Bible is really more about intent.  There is a children's book called Petunia about a goose who carries a book under her wing with great pride because it makes her look like she is wise.  But the truth was she didn't even know how to read.  We mustn't elevate the Bible for our own purposes, but rather honor it by doing what it says.

2 comments:

  1. I use a highlighter, when I want to emphasis the truth of the bible. Especially, when it applies to something happening in my walk with HIM, or something that I need to work on. I usually, say a prayer for the Holy Spirit to help me overcome the problem. I've never heard about not writing in a bible. My Mom wrote in the sidelines of her bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see the comments I wrote in my Bible over the years. I usually date them so I get a glimpse, when I look back, at how far I've come (or not!).

      Delete