Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, November 18, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - November 18

St. Francis's Reverence and Devotion to Jesus in the Eucharist

"With every fiber of his being Francis burned with love for the Sacrament of the Body of the Lord.  It left him overcome with wonder for so great a condescension and merciful love.  He was said to be disconsolate if, even once, he could not hear daily Mass, even if it was possible to do so.  He received communion often and with such devotion as to make others experience a like devotion.  He rendered every reverence to so venerable a sacrament, offering the sacrifice of his whole self; and when he received the Immolated Lamb of God, he immolated his own spirit in that fire which was always burning on the altar of his heart."  --Celano, Second Life, 201

A sacrament is an outward sign of a spiritual grace.  For Francis the Eucharist was of the greatest importance to him.  For me it was my Baptism at age 8.  I remember it well.  It was in the Church of the Open Door in a tank of water behind the pulpit.  I'd come forward a few Sundays before to give my life to God and now I was receiving the rite that identified me as a follower of Christ.  It was at Jesus's baptism that He received the Holy Spirit and now I, too, would be filled with the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment