Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, April 18, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - April 18

On Work and The Spirit of Prayer

"Those brothers to whom the Lord has given the grace of working are to work faithfully and with dedication.  Thus they will rout idleness, the enemy of the soul, and still not extinguish the spirit of holy prayer and devotion which all other temporal things must serve."  --St. Francis, Rule of 1223, Chapter V

As they say, idle hands are the devil's workshop.  Idleness is indeed the enemy of the soul!  I find that the greatest cure for anxiety is work--otherwise, I could easily fall into the sin of doubting God's goodness.  It's a great stress reliever (for my body) and allows my mind to turn to God rather than things on earth--the things I can't change anyway.  Often times, while working, solutions will just appear because I've taken my own hands off the problem.  At the very least working allows me to feel I've accomplished something while I wait for God's timing.   He uses this waiting time to grow me, or the other people involved, and gives me the opportunity to trust Him.

2 comments:

  1. I love this message----and I need to see it right now....work....for God..however we can, to keep our hearts in line and on track with him and his grace for us. thank you..love Merri

    ReplyDelete