Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Sunday, April 17, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - April 17

How the Brothers Are to Serve

"All the brothers, wherever they find themselves serving or working for others, are not to be the administrators or officials or preside over the house where they are offering service.  Nor are they to accept any office which would cause scandal or bring harm to their souls.  But let them be the lesser ones and subject to all who dwell in the same house."  --St. Francis, Rule of 1221, Chapter VII

As I read Francis's words, "are not to be the administrators or officials or preside over the house where they are offering service," I immediately thought of my own household when my children were still at home.  It was my job to "serve" them in that I made the meals and "kept house" for them.  They had their chores, of course, but I was "in charge."  As Mom, I do not think I was supposed to be subject to my children, but I can see it would have made a difference if I saw myself as subject to God because serving my children was in actuality serving Him.  My believing that I was to be "in charge" took my household out of God's hands.  I believe this applies to all facets of life.  We are merely stewards of what God has created.  We may have specific responsibilities in taking care of what's been placed in our care, but we should never see ourselves as "in charge," or as Francis puts it, to "preside over."

No comments:

Post a Comment