Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, April 29, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - April 29

The Greeting of St. Francis

"The Lord revealed to me that this is to be our greeting:  'The Lord give you peace.'"  --The Testament of St. Francis

In our society the standard greeting seems to be "How are you?" when we come upon an acquaintance.  I must confess that I am surly enough not to comply because it never seemed sincere to me.  My questioner never looked truly interested in how I was--it was just an empty greeting....so I've just stuck with "hello"  as my greeting.  But I wonder....what if I did greet others with "How are you?" and then waited for an answer?  It would mean I could not be so busy that I would be able to take the time to listen if they had more than a "fine" to report.  And if that is their response, should I press them?  "Fine" seems to be the standard, acceptable response even when we are not feeling so fine.  This has given me something to think about the next time I greet someone.....

No comments:

Post a Comment