Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Learning Contentment


"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation." -Philippians 4:11




Ah...the elusive contentment we too often lack.  I have a folder on my computer labeled "Cabin Dream" with photos I've found on the internet.  When I saw the above sign in a yard sale I bought it and hung it on my brick house with the hope of one day hanging it on a log cabin situated on a mountain with a view of the valley and more mountains.  A lake for that canoe would be an added bonus.  There's nothing wrong with having a dream, but if it creates discontent with what you have or makes you feel you don't have enough, it blinds you to the blessings you already have!  Paul says he has learned how to "live humbly" and how to "abound."  So what is his secret for contentment?  Verse 13: "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  If our dream is placed there by God, we can be assured it will be fulfilled.  If your dream is never fulfilled, however, then learning contentment is a blessing in itself.

I have had many dreams fulfilled and some that have not--like my cabin dream.  But each has taught me something about God and about myself.

I am grateful for dreams because they always have something to teach me.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the quote" Contentment is a crown , seldom worn by kings"
    Such a crwon it is to be in the now and happy... and love the dream part too, that is unless as y ou say, they created in us an anxiety for greed and wanting more. God does know just what we all need, and that freedom in contentment with what we have NOW.. seems to be the LIGHT leading us for more of His love and grace... I love your posts. you make me see the gratitude of what I have all around me, beauty, grace , quiet, woods, lakes, streams cabins. all of it.. in full view in my glorious unfolding minute. I have found something out in owning cabins ten of them, and homes on the lake.. many of those too. that believe it or not. I was still not content.... that seems crazy but it surely is God wisdom to love what we have NOW.. and rejoice in His choices for us. not our own, and be happy in our hearts... where he lives. Merri

    ReplyDelete