Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, January 1, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - January 1


A New Kind of Fool                                                                                                           "The Lord has called me into the way of simplicity and humility, and he has indeed made this way known through me and through all who choose to believe me and follow me.  So I prefer you not talk to me about any other Rule, whether St. Benedict's, or St. Augustine's, or St. Bernard's, nor recommend any other ideal or manner of life than that which the Lord in his mercy has revealed and given me.  He told me I am to be a new kind of fool in this world."  --St. Francis, Mirror of Perfection, 68
Years ago I was to play my guitar and sing a song in front of my church one Sunday.  The song meant a lot to me so I memorized it so I could look out at the congregation and connect with them as I sang. I was not, and still am not, at ease in front of an audience and was feeling very nervous that I would forget the words and look like a fool......This was what was going through my mind instead of paying attention to the service while I awaited my time to present my song.  But then the Holy Spirit broke into my thoughts reminding me if I was willing to look like a fool for Him that's all that mattered.  In that moment that I consented, all my anxiety left.  When I stood up on that platform and began to sing every memorized word left my mind.  I could not think of one line from that song.  But as I strummed my guitar and opened my mouth, I heard the words and melody coming out of me.


It's not that He asks us to be fools for Him, but rather that we be willing to look the fool.  I'm sure St. Francis had his detractors who thought he was foolish for his way of simplicity and humility, and people may have thought I was a fool for thinking I had any playing or singing ability to offer, but what God saw was my willingness to answer the call He'd laid on my heart.  And that's all that mattered to Him.