Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, January 18, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - January 18

Obedience

"Among other graces which the Divine Mercy has deigned to give me is this:  If a novice only one hour in the Order were made my guardian* (*guardian and prelate are words for religious superiors), I would obey him as scrupulously as I would the oldest and most prudent brother in the Order.  A subject should not see the man in the prelate," but him for whose love he is subject."  --St. Bonaventure, Major Life, 6:4

This last statement, "A subject should not see the man in the prelate but him for whose love he is subject," needs to be dissected.  I'm having trouble sorting the pronouns.  Who is "him" and who is "he" in the second half of the last statement?  If "him" is the prelate and "he" is me, then I understand it to say that I should see myself as the object of the prelate's love.  But if "him" is me and "he" is the prelate, then I understand it to mean that the prelate is the object of my love.  As I sit here and ponder this I realize if I substitute "God" for "prelate," both interpretations ring true for me.  God is my prelate and if I believe that God is good and only wants what is best for me, I will obey Him.  At the same time, my love for God leads me to obey Him.  If I see God as LOVE rather than as AUTHORITY it changes the whole context of our relationship.  I will serve willingly whom I love and who loves me.