Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, January 2, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - January 2

St. Francis Speaks of the Early Days of the Brotherhood

"...Although it was already a holy place, they made it even more holy by constant prayer and silence.  If anyone spoke after the time set aside for silence, it was to speak devoutly and discreetly of things pertaining to the praise of God and the salvation of souls.  They curbed the desires of the flesh, not only by fasting, but also by frequent vigils, by enduring the cold in light clothing, and by working with their hands.  In order to avoid idleness, they would often go and help poor farmers work their fields, and sometimes after work the farmers would share their bread with them for the love of God.  They sanctified themselves and the place by these and other virtuous acts."  --St. Francis, Legend of Perugia, 57f

The first time I attended a Quaker meeting for worship I encountered this experience of being in a holy place made more holy by the "constant prayer and silence."  As I sat on the bench, deep in prayer, someone stood to speak.  At that moment I knew I was in the right place because the gentleman's words spoke right to the burden I was carrying in my heart.  I attended another two years until we moved out of the area, but I often think of my time there in congregational worship.  Silent prayer allows your heart to open up and receive what God has for you.  Sometimes it may be through words spoken by another, but the most worshipful times for me have been when my spirit hears God's Spirit, and that can only come in silence for God's voice is that quiet, still voice that can only be heard when we've quit talking and started listening.