Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Wednesday, February 10, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - February 10

On Simple Dwellings

"If at any time the brothers abandon their small, poor dwellings because someone has offered them something more spacious and comfortable, they thereby give the worst kind of scandalous example." --Writings of Leo, Rufino, and Angelo, 61d

I don't know if it's the area of the country I moved to after I married (mid-atlantic) or just the changing times, but it seems most people I know kept "moving up" as soon as they could afford it.  I spent the second half of my childhood in the mid-west where all my relatives still lived in the small house they bought when they were first married.  They may have added on a bedroom if their family outgrew the house, or maybe moved once to a larger house, but that was it.  I've resisted doing this only because I chose this house with long-term in mind, but as I wrote the other day we were house poor for a number of years because of it.  I can see the wisdom  now in choosing to live in a simple dwelling.  The time, energy, and money devoted to our dwellings can be easily out of portion to the things that really matter in our walk with Christ. When I think I need to add or change something in my house I should first ask myself why do I feel I need to do this?  The answer may change how I feel about what I already have.



4 comments: