Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, February 5, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - February 5

Seeking and Receiving Alms




"I have never been a thief of alms, seeking or using more than I need.  I always accepted less than was necessary, lest other poor people be cheated of their share."  --Mirror of Perfection, 12




This is a quote from a Medieval source (I will always add St. Francis, to the source when it is not clear the quote is from him), but I'm sure it was true of Francis.  For those of us who pay taxes, it might be likened to voting for candidates who want to end welfare.  The problem isn't allocating money to help people who need it, but rather the wasteful spending of our taxes.  But for some reason the balanced-budget proponents seem to think doing away with our welfare programs will solve our country's budget problems.  To me this is stealing alms from the poor.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with your thoughts more, Cathy. I haven't noticed I could comment on these posts until recently.
    Having been to Assisi, it is wonderful to read your thoughts on this saint. I am not Catholic, but I certainly appreciate his devotion to the Lord. We stayed in a convent when we visited this Umbrian town. It was quite an experience to visit the birthplace of St. Francis. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it was indeed a special experience to be there!

      Delete