Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, February 6, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - February 6

The Brothers Are Not to Receive Money for Their Work




"In return for the work they have done, the brothers may receive whatever they need, except money.  And when the need arises, they may beg alms like other people.  And they may have the instruments and tools required for their trade."  --St. Francis, Rule of 1221, Chapter VII





This puts me in mind of the manna God provided for the Israelites in the desert.  They needed to learn to trust God daily for their needs, so He only gave them one-day's worth of provisions.  It also reminds me of the first three years of living in this house.   We'd stretched to buy it and then Ken's income (he was in commission sales) dropped off dramatically.  We lived hand-to-mouth as they say, and had to borrow in order to pay the mortgage.  But God used that time to show me that He does indeed provide!  I've never doubted since even when Ken was laid off twice.  Now I can be trusted to have some money in reserve because I no longer depend on IT, but instead on God when it comes to money.  Hmmm.....it sounds like I need to look at the other areas of my life to see if I'm relying on God to provide there also.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful message for me. I appreciate your deep understanding of everything you do, it is so beautiful to see your life and your loving family and the glorious way you demonstrate God and his Love for us all and his commands. Love to you and thank you again, Merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merrilyn, it was so kind of you to take the time to comment. I feel blessed that you found the words I wrote helpful.

      Delete