Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Wednesday, March 23, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - March 23

The Importance of Prudence

"I exhort you to know your own constitution; for one of you might be able to get along on less food than another, and I wouldn't want you who may need more food to think you have to imitate someone who needs less.  You each must know your own physical makeup and allow your body its needs, so that it has strength to serve the spirit.  For just as we are bound to avoid overindulgence in food, which harms both body and soul, we must also avoid exaggerated abstinence."  --St. Francis, Mirror of Perfection, 27

I can't say I've ever had this problem--underestimating my need for food!  But I have probably underestimated my need for sleep.  And I've been known to overwork myself in doing yard work.  Paying attention to our body's needs is another way to honor God, for He created our bodies to sustain our souls while doing His work here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment