Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, July 2, 2016

St. Francis of Assisi - July 2

A Psalm for Evening Prayer

"Note:  St. Francis knew the psalms so well that he could quote many by heart or, like a great musician, he could play variations upon them, taking verses from various psalms and other scriptural passages and working them into a new whole.  His own psalms, then, give us some indication of the associative workings of his mind and the breadth and depth of his knowledge of Scripture.

Clap your hands, all peoples,
acclaim God with shouts of joy.
For Yahweh, the Most High, is glorious,
the great king over all the earth (Ps 47:1-2).
Yet, God, my king from the first (Ps 74:12)
has sent his Beloved Son from on high
to bring salvation to the world.
Let the heavens rejoice and earth be glad!
Let the sea thunder, and all it holds!
Let the countryside exult, and all that is in it (Ps 96:11-12).
sing a new song to Yahweh!
Sing to Yahweh, all the earth! (Ps 96:1)"
--St. Francis, Office of Passion

Years ago I had to memorize a Shakespeare sonnet.  What I discovered was rather astounding to me.  Not only did I finally come to understand what Shakespeare was saying (in the convoluted way in which he wrote his verse) I found I was able to write my own response to his musings in his style.  No wonder we are admonished to memorize scripture.



No comments:

Post a Comment