Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, June 3, 2017

Harmony and Love


"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -John 13:35


My dog and cat love each other!  But if another dog comes to our house my cat hides and if my dog sees another cat he barks and wants to chase after it.  This is not limited to the animal kingdom.  Years ago when we lived in a townhouse community I noticed a difference in how I felt about the garbage cans left on the curb the day after pickup belonging to people I didn't know vs. people I was friends with.  My friends' cans did not bother me whereas the strangers' cans did.

When we finally accept that we are all created by God and therefore are brothers and sisters our differences won't bother us so much!  I love my cat just as much as I love my dog even though they are totally different in their temperament and behavior.  And they obviously do not look like each other!   I love them even more for their differences and that they are not like me.  I would get bored very quickly if everyone in the world looked and acted like me.  The best partnerships are when one's strengths and weaknesses are opposite of the others'.  Together their weaknesses can be overcome.  This is why fostering competition in children, I believe, prevents them from embracing another's strengths.  Instead, competition promotes envy and degrades self-worth in those who are not as gifted in the same way.

We can love like Jesus loved when we embrace what is different about others rather than finding fault with their/our differences. When both do this, harmony can be found, and where there is harmony, love can grow.

I am grateful that there is hope for us as a people in Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I love your post as always. Love the photo of Gabriel and Poetry... loving one another , even though they surely have individual differences.
    They know you love them equally, and that makes them safe. They do not need to play baseball and win, or football or hockey and come out number one. You see them already as ONE.. GOD's number ONE harmony .. safe... and pure . As always your abiliin makes a study impact on me daily . it always has since your St Francis posts...;showing the power of innocent Love. Thank you Cathy for taking time each day.. out of your day to help me see more clearly in a beautiful, application to MY DAY.. love to you with deep gratitude for what you do for God and me and all .. Merri

    ReplyDelete