Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, June 17, 2017

Living for Him


"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord rather than men."  
-Colossians 3:23


Lilias Trotter wrote in her 1907 journal about a bee that comforted her that morning "concerning the desultoriness that troubles me in our work."  As a missionary to the Muslims in Algiers she felt that she seemed "only to touch souls and leave them."  She saw in the bee's work this sort of just "touching" as it went from blossom to blossom .....yet ....at each stop "the miracle-working pollen grains were transferred to the place where they could set the unseen Spring working."  Lilias ends her journal entry, which resonates the most with me, with this:  "We have only to see to it that we are surcharged, like the bees, with potential life.  It is God and His eternity that will do the work.  Yet He needs His wandering desultory bees."

I am no longer surprised when God sends just what I need just when I need it--through people, the Internet, movies, books, dreams, nature--He uses any and everything to give us what we need.  If our heart is not open and our hands free to receive, He will move on to the one who is--just like the bee when it encounters a blossom closed up.

I am grateful that now when I see the bees in my garden busy about their work I will be reminded that God can use even the fragments of my life to achieve His purposes if I am living my life for Him.

1 comment: