Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Tuesday, February 7, 2017

A Call to Followers of Christ


"Now when [the wise men] departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there till I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.'" -Matthew 2:13

When I took this photo a few years ago for future possible use I did not dream it would be in connection with the refugee crisis we're having now.  Between the fence and the sign I'd say it represents what the current President intends to see established permanently.  Yes, I know that he says it's temporary, but so far he has not earned my trust or respect, so I will not sit idly by and remain silent.  

Instead I want to hold up this sign to our President. . . . 


It seems clear that our President wants to close down our borders to all foreigners by any method he feels he has the power to do.  If the ban was to be truly temporary, he would not have banned those who held legal documents allowing them entry.  The vetting process in place has worked so far--no terrorists from those countries banned have committed acts of terror on our soil since it was put into place.  He is quickly learning (I hope) that the U. S. government's power is divided between the legislature, the executive, and the judiciary.  This is the way our form of democracy prevents the concentration of power and provides for checks and balances.  But even worse than this administration's stance on refugees is the message Christian leaders, who support this policy change, are sending to the world about Christ.

I hope followers of Christ will remember that Jesus was for a time a refugee in a foreign land and examine their own resistance to welcoming the foreigner.  This is our chance to show these fellow human beings, who have fled their place of birth because it is no longer safe to be there, that the love of Christ is real and not just a platitude.  Jesus calls us to "Love thy neighbor" and tells us that when we help a stranger in need we are helping him!

I am grateful that I have my home and my family nearby.  I have plenty to eat and I do not live in fear for my life.  But I am even more grateful that I do not take these things for granted and am open to helping those in need in any way I can......because if I were not open it would only be a matter of time that my heart would become hardened and stop loving altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment