Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Jars of Clay


"We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."  
-1 Corinthians 4:7


Lilias Trotter writes concerning Jesus's death on the cross, "For the world's salvation was not wrought out by the three years in which He went about doing good, but in the three hours of darkness in which He hung, stripped and nailed, in uttermost exhaustion of spirit, soul, and body--till His heart broke.  So little wonder for us if the price of power is weakness."

I think these jars of clay high up on the shelf in my kitchen are beautiful and that is why I display them there.  But because of their out-of-the-way position I rarely actually use them.  And when I do I have to wash the dust out of them first.  God would much rather us to be available than on display as an object of beauty.  In fact, He is able to use us best when we are weak and unadorned because then it is obvious it is His power and not by our own that our usefulness is born, thereby being an example to all who may think they are of no use.

I am grateful that God can use me best when I am weak because I can then experience a full measure of joy in serving Him knowing that that it is He and not me who will receive the glory.

3 comments:

  1. Again I have to say how I love your analogies. This example of HIS people being jars of clay that are more useful to HIM when we humble ourselves for the glory of HIS use. Thank you for this post. I love you Sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy--but I can't take any credit for that analogy! It comes directly from the scripture. ❤️😊

      Delete
    2. Whoops, guess I need to read more of my bible!

      Delete