Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Sunday, February 5, 2017

Begin Where You Are


"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."  -Psalm 118:24




Our Daily Bread describes the time C. S. Lewis, while on a hike on a hot summer day with a friend, asked him "how best to cultivate a thankful heart toward God."  The friend stopped by a brook and splashed his face with the water and said, "Why not begin with this?"  Lewis would later make that moment into a "great principle" that he termed "Begin Where You Are."

When I cared for my terminally ill mother in my home years ago I learned how to live one day at a time.  Each time she ended up in the hospital I thought it would be the last time.  But her condition would improve enough that she would return to us until the next time.  She lived for almost a year with us before her body eventually wore out altogether.  Through that experience I learned that each day was a new day to begin again when I felt I'd failed at bearing the burden.  Each day I had with her became a chance to grow closer to her and to love her in a way I had not before.  Each day became a new beginning for us to start over because we really didn't know whether we'd get another.

I am grateful for sleep that helps to wipe the slate clean and begin again.  To wake up to a brand new day in which to love and be loved, to show compassion, to do justice, and to place my trust in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment