Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, October 14, 2017

Weaned


"I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content."  -Psalm 131:2



At first I did not understand how a weaned child could be more content than a child that was still nursing, so I checked the commentaries.  Ah....now I understand.  David, the author, was referring to the difficulty of being weaned like the child above is experiencing.  Once the child is weaned, however, he will once again find contentment.  It's the process that we have to go through when we break away from our dependency on anything other than God.  I have discovered the reason I feel so miserable when I don't get what I want is because I feel deprived.  It's not the "thing" that matters to me as much as the feeling of being deprived that causes my angst.  For the child being weaned, they have no experience to draw from about what comes next.  To them it may feel like the end of the world!  For us, however, we need only look at all God has provided in the past and rejoice in what comes next!

In today's Our Daily Bread Monica Brands reminds us, "I think sometimes we forget that our faith journey is one of learning to experience love--God's love--more fully than we can imagine (Eph. 3:18)."

I am grateful that because of Christ I am no longer deprived of what I need.

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful !!!!!!! WEANED from anything unlike God!!!!! amen and what a photo of a happy weaned child.. glorious .. Just what I needed today !!! Merri

    ReplyDelete