Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Broken Bread


"Taking the five loaves....He broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples to the people....About five thousand men were fed, in addition to women and children...." -Matthew 14:19b, 21




In today's Discover the Word program Ann Voskamp speaks of the last supper in which Jesus broke the bread and gave it to his disciples telling them to continue to do this in remembrance of Him.  Mart deHahn brought in the verse I shared above from Matthew 14.  Together these passages are an example of how we are to use our brokenness to "feed" others as Jesus did--not only the 5,000 plus who had come to hear Him preach that day, but all those He died for when His body was broken on the cross for our sins.  Ann put it this way....we should enter each day cross-centered rather than self-centered.  This is what it means to "do this in remembrance" of Jesus.

I am grateful for the sustenance that bread offers me and for the reminder that each meal should be eaten in remembrance of what Jesus has done for me and continues to do through me as I allow myself to be broken open for others.


2 comments: