Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Thursday, January 26, 2017

Ministry of Presence


"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd."  -Matthew 9:36




I love that my neighbor behind me across the private lane keeps sheep.  When I am on my front porch or out walking on my property I often hear them.  It is a peaceful sound to me because it takes me to a peaceful place where God calls me to "lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul." (Psalm 23:2-3).

In today's Discover the Word program Ann Voskamp speaks about how "Often, suffering is not a problem that needs a solution as much as it is an experience that needs compassion."  The discussion that followed concerned what do you say to someone who is hurting?  We often avoid people in pain because we don't have the right words and we know there is nothing we can do to change what happened.  But our presence, even without words, is a way to show compassion.  It is the only thing that we can do sometimes to make a difference.  Later we may be able to help by bringing a meal or offering some other service to help out.  A listening ear may be all the person needs.  Whatever it is, just making ourselves available, and then letting the Lord act through us, either in words or deeds, is being there for them.  We become God's arms around them.

I am grateful for those who have been God's arms in my times of need.  But I am also grateful to BE His arms around those who are in need, becoming a "co-sufferer," knowing that I have become broken bread for Him.

1 comment:

  1. "just making ourselves available, and then letting the Lord act through us, either in words or deeds, is being there for them. We become God's arms around them." YOU have always been there for ME & I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete