Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Ownership


"Every good and perfect gift is from above."  -James 1:17


I came across the above quote in an old Quaker book of daily readings just when I needed reminding that my children were gifts from God and only mine for a time.  I say "reminding" because the names I chose for two of my children turned out to mean "gift from God" and "God has given" so I knew from the beginning they were just on loan to me.

But we also must remember everything we have is a gift from God.  It's too easy to take ownership of our relationships, our belongings, even our time.  And certainly our own lives!  Earth Day, which has just passed, was a good reminder that we are just stewards of our earth, and we must take care of it in order to pass it on to our children in the best condition we can.

I am grateful for the reminder that the only thing that actually belongs to me is God's love--the rest is on loan.

2 comments: