Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Saturday, August 26, 2017

First-Hand Account


"I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning."  -Luke 1:3

In 2000 I drove to Mississippi to visit my 102-year-old Grandmother.  I stopped in Greenville to try to find the house we lived in before that traumatic move I wrote about a few days ago.  If I hadn't had the address and an old photo I may not have ever found it.  Back in 1960, when we moved away, there were no trees at all surrounding it.  Furthermore, the highway that this photo was taken from was now widened and level with the boulevard in front of the house.  Before it was a 2-lane road set at a higher elevation.  The tree in the area between the highway and the boulevard where my swing hung was no longer there either.  

In today's Our Daily Bread Tim Gustafson writes of an event from his childhood that he discovered years later was not as he'd remembered it.  After his mother passed on he found a letter in her belongings that she'd written to his aunt right after the incident telling what happened.  Tim used this story to illustrate how having the Biblical account of Jesus's life, written by eye witnesses, was so we "may know the certainty of the things you have been taught" (as Luke writes to Theophilus in Luke 1:3-4).  

I am grateful for first-hand accounts of Jesus's life so that I might "know the certainty" of all that I read in scripture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment