Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, August 7, 2017

Leaving All Behind


Jesus replied to Peter: "Truly I tell you, no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life." 
-Luke 18:29-30


New mothers are often told to "hang tight--it gets easier" after infancy.  Mine are grown and have been out of the nest for years.  It does not get easier.  When they were little I had certain "rights" in their lives.  I could tell them what to do and when to do it.  Now I can only hope they will do what is right. This is why it is so important to teach our children to be dependent on God and not us.  This is the only way we can be sure they will do what is right the first time and not have to learn the hard way.  But if it's too late for that, all is not lost.  There is still our own example and prayer.

Worrying about our children often leads to our interference.  Trusting them to God allows God to work in their life to "finish them" in a way we never could when they were still children.  If I take Jesus's statement to Peter personally, He is saying I must "leave" my children behind in order to follow Him.  To follow Jesus means to give my whole heart to Him.....and in doing so, I can trust Him with those I "leave" behind.

I am grateful that I have the best caretaker in all of eternity for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment