Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Only One Master


"No one can serve two masters.  Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other.  You cannot serve both God and wealth."  -Luke 16:13




We were on vacation in Florida when we saw these cars, which cost $400,000 each, parked in front of the restaurant we were dining in with our friends.  The discussion that ensued spoke of the impracticality of driving such a car and that more than likely they were bought as a status symbol.

There are many things other than wealth that we might be tempted to serve rather than God.  We can make "masters" of other things as well--our appearance, our careers, our children, and anything else we might "idolize."  I feel closest to God when I am close to nature or interacting with my grandchildren or my pets, but even then I can be in danger of "serving"  them if I do not see God in them.  As God's creation, nature, grandchildren, and pets are to be enjoyed, but not worshipped.  The same is true for wealth.  There is nothing wrong with wealth when it is earned and used in God-honoring ways.  But we must always be careful to not let it or anything else come between us and serving God.

I am grateful for the many lovely things I have in my life and for the reminder that they should not control my life.

3 comments: