Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, May 19, 2017

Rooted and Built Up


"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."  -Colossians 2:6-7



I'm trying to grow hostas on the hill behind my house so that I don't have to weed this area.  Hostas are so prolific here I am constantly digging them up from unwanted areas and transplanting them to this hill.  The other day I found several newly-transplanted hostas pulled out of the ground.  I know who the culprit is!

Paul is reminding the new believers in Colossae of their need to be rooted and built up in Christ Jesus.  Just like my hostas, which had not had a chance to grow their roots into their new home and were easily pulled out, as believers we must be firmly rooted in Christ as well.  Paul's admonition to be "overflowing with thankfulness" is one way to root ourselves in Christ.  By noting throughout the day the many ways in which God shows His love to us, we will be strengthening our faith in a God who wants only what is best for us.  Even the struggles we face become stepping stones to a closer relationship with Him.

I am grateful to know that once I am firmly rooted in Christ nothing can pull me away from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment