Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Thursday, May 25, 2017

Humility and Grace


"So from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David."  -1 Samuel 18:9


This sister, age three, and brother, age one, love wrestling on the floor together.  But let the one-year-old get attention from the adults in the room for longer than a few seconds, the jealousy the three-year-old feels becomes obvious.  I am not three, but I, too, find myself feeling jealousy from time to time when I feel left out of a situation I wished I was a part of.  Thankfully, I don't make it obvious--I've learned ways to hide it so that I don't act like a three-year-old!

Saul, too, felt jealousy over David's reception from the crowds after his successful mission when they sang, "Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands."  He loved David, yet his jealousy caused him to be afraid of David (v. 15).  This led David to fear for his life and he went into hiding.

Jealousy is one of those "natural" human emotions that have to be handed over to the Lord for purification.  When we confess it to God, He can turn it into the energy we need to turn it into a positive force rather than a destructive one.  For myself, it may mean letting others know I want to be included, or in some cases, I may discover I really don't need to be included--that what I was really feeling was wounded pride.

I am grateful to uncover hidden pride so that I can humble myself and receive God's grace--which is far better than any temporal accolades.


2 comments:

  1. Love the photo of the children ... and i too was like Olivia. When others got attention when I was small, i would pinch. Pinch my cousin or pinch anyone. Or hold my breath... until i passed out. I got attention then ~~~~~~~!! I shall surrender more of this today.. and level the playing field , for our Father sees us all as equals... no favorites.

    ReplyDelete