Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Flourishing in God's Garden


"Do not stifle the Holy Spirit."  -1 Thessalonians 5:19



Lilias Trotter writes:  "The daisies have been talking again.....Somewhere long ago I saw that the reason they spread out their leaves flat on the ground--so flat that the scythe does not touch them--is because the flowers stretch out their little hands, as it were, to keep back the blades of grass that would shut out the sunlight.  They speak so of the need of deliberately holding back everything that would crowd our souls and stifle the freedom of God's light and air."

The daisies in my garden are prolific.  They self-seed and pop up all over.  I let them grow in place.  When they are done flowering for the season, I pull up the entire plant because I know their seeds will produce another plant next season.  The Holy Spirit's work in us is just as prolific when we do not quench Him.  As Lilias Trotter points out our part is to hold back everything that would "crowd our souls and stifle the freedom of God's light."

I am grateful that when I do my part, with God's help, I can flourish in God's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment