Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Sunday, July 30, 2017

God is Our Refuge


"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."  -Psalm 46:1


Missionary Lilias Trotter wrote in her journal:  "It was lovely getting back to Algiers with all the welcoming that was waiting.  They had been hard at it with workmen the last days, preparing surprises--two new windows knocked out in two ill-ventilated rooms; a much-needed verandah of native reed matting on the roof leading up to a study, since disused, now filled up with mats and a low seat round the dais as a place where 'prayer is wont to be made.'  It is so beautifully out of the way of all the sounds of the house--and it is a rule that no one is to be disturbed there.  The 'melja' we call it--Arabic for 'refuge.'"

The photo is of my drawing table in the corner of our bedroom.  This is where I can go and not be disturbed because the "rule that no one [me] is to be disturbed there" is in place.  But what I've discovered about my refuge is it is not about the outer place as much as it is the inner place.  Often when I sit down to paint I feel a great deal of anxiety because it is such a struggle for me to draw.  It's because I come to my place of refuge expecting something in particular to happen rather than being open to seeing what happens.  This is the same with taking refuge in God.  If we have expectations for our outer surroundings to be a certain way before we can experience God's peace, it is a sure sign that we haven't taken refuge in HIM.  We are still allowing circumstances to dictate.  It is wonderful to have a quiet place in which to pray and create, but until we quiet our inner turmoil, we will not be able to experience God's peace.

I am grateful that God is my refuge--my ever-present help.

No comments:

Post a Comment