Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Search My Heart


"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts." -Psalm 139:23


This is my mother and me on my first birthday.  Forty-two years later I would be taking care of her in my home.  For several years she'd been struggling with asthma that put her in the hospital from time to time.  I became alarmed when on one of my calls to her in the hospital I was told she could not talk to me.  They had her so doped up on morphine that I immediately flew down to Florida to see what was going on.  I made the decision to have her flown by air ambulance to where I lived.  Every step of the way I felt God's presence and help in my decision to care for her in my home even though I had three children ages 5, 11 and 14.  So, when after six months I was completely worn down by the responsibility I could not understand why.  It was only then I realized once she'd settled in I'd told God, by my actions, that I could take it from here.  It had never been a conscious decision, but one of the taletelling signs was that I'd quit journaling because I didn't want a record of the difficult time I was having dealing with her illness, her eventual death, and all the difficult years of my childhood relationship with my mother that were surfacing.  I realized the only way I was going to have what I needed to face this challenge was to "live one day at a time" and the way to do that was to consciously call on God all day long.  What had been revealed to me was that I only called on God when I felt I could no longer do it on my own.  I had to be "made weak" in order to see this.  All of my life I'd "saved God" for those times and the rest of the time I carried on by myself.

This is not the kind of relationship God wants with us.  He sent his Son, Jesus, to show us that he wants a moment-by-moment relationship with us.  He wants us to share in our hard times but also in our joyous times.  He doesn't want to be left out of anything!

I am grateful that I have a friend in Jesus who is there for me all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Why does this story sound so familiar? Maybe because I am living it now. I pray for strength and guidance, but I keep trying to carry on.....my way. Maybe I need to just turn it over!! Thanks Cathy. ❤️
    Chris Wells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very difficult on several levels and is why we have to live each day as it comes without worrying about what tomorrow will bring. Trusting God for just that day's needs is all we need to do. ❤️

      Delete