Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Monday, November 20, 2017

Do I Love Jesus?


"Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching.  These words are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."  -John 14:24




In today's Our Daily Bread David Roper shares that they had an arborist come check out an ancient cherry tree that had "seen better days."  The arborist's opinion was that the tree was "unduly stressed" and needed immediate attention.  Roper noted that his wife, who had had a difficult week, muttered "Take a number" and walked away.  We did not need an arborist to tell us our tree was in trouble.  Ken worked to get the broken half out of the tree, then strapped cables around it to hold it together.  I'm happy to say that after four years what is left of the tree is still putting out leafy branches.

Roper used this to remind us that despite the difficulties we may have to face we can find peace because Jesus says in John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you."  As I read the verses leading up to verse 27 the one I chose for today stood out to me.  It suddenly became clear to me that if I find myself struggling in a situation it is because I have not laid hold of the peace Jesus promises we will receive from God.  The reason I have no peace is because I am not trusting God in the situation.  My struggle is actually with God because I am trying to maintain control.  This begs the question then, "Do I love Jesus?"  Because if I do, I would obey Jesus' teachings about submitting my all to God.  Our tree's situation left no question that it needed help.  It is the same with us!

I am grateful that I can find peace in submitting all I am, all I have, all I want to God.

1 comment: