Welcome Message (click on)

2015 - "Three Little Words" by Terry Ferguson
The Fruit of the Spirit

2016 - "Through the Year with Francis of Assisi"
by Murray Bodo

2017 - Thanks-Living



Friday, November 3, 2017

Freedom in Christ


"I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me."  -Galatians 2:20


"These words mean," Oswald Chambers says about today's verse, "the breaking of my independence with my own hand and surrendering to the supremacy of the Lord Jesus.......It means breaking the husk of my individual independence of God, and the emancipating of my personality into oneness with Himself, not for my own ideas, but for absolute loyalty to Jesus.......Has that break come?  All the rest is pious fraud."

These are strong words Chambers speaks to the students at the Bible Training College in London that he helped found in 1911.  Many were there to prepare for their life's work as missionaries.  But I think Galatians 2:20 and Chambers' imagery of "breaking the husk of my individual independence of God" are words for all of us, no matter our vocation.  In order to get at the corn, the husk must be broken and removed.  The same applies to our own self-driven wills so that we can take on the character of Jesus Christ.  This is true freedom because our wills can be tyrannical, holding us hostage to the whims of our personality.

I am grateful that the freedom found in Christ liberates me from the struggles dictated by my own will.

2 comments:

  1. This is something I am working to understand more and more.. to LET GOD.. to LET HIM show me HIS PLAN. not mine.. and not to get a head of God, for things do now work out then . I pray to learn this deeply so I do not have to suffer needless off track experiences... HIS WILL and HIS PLAN.. and HIS TIME.. .. me...patience and graitude.

    ReplyDelete